Direct Hits Essential Vocabulary targets middle school and early high school learners.
The book focuses on words students need to know as part of the Common Core curriculum as well as words frequently found on standardized tests like the SSAT and PSAT. The following features are included in the book:
- Selective vocabulary found in the Common Core academic language curriculum for grades 6-9
- High frequency vocabulary found on the recent SSATs and PSATs
- More than 250 words used in context. No more memorizing definitions of long lists of seemingly unrelated words
- Relevant and vivid examples from literature, history, current events, and pop culture make the words memorable for students
- Prefix, root, suffix, and pro-tip boxes are found throughout the book
Each chapter ends with a review exercise, and chapters include Essential 25 Greatest Hits, Literary Language, All About Adjectives, Celebrity Sightings, and Words That Count.
Direct Hits Core Vocabulary focuses on high school vocabulary found in the classroom and on a variety of standardized tests.
Does developing a high-level vocabulary need to be a tedious, frustrating task? Direct Hits doesn't think so. Research has shown that a powerful and vibrant vocabulary has a high correlation with success in school, business, the professions, AND standardized tests, including the PSAT, SAT, and AP exams. Direct Hits Core Vocabulary offers a different approach. This book includes the following features:
- Selective vocabulary found on recent PSATs, ACTs, and SATs used in context. No more memorizing the definitions of long lists of seemingly random words in a vacuum
- Relevant, vivid, and memorable examples from literature, historic events, contemporary issues, and pop culture
- A Fast Review for each chapter, with quick definitions
Formatted as a 6" by 9" paperback book, teens are comfortable carrying the Direct Hits Core Vocabulary book with them to study another word or two when time permits. Building on the success of previous five editions, the authors of Direct Hits Core Vocabulary - 6th Edition consulted secondary school teachers, tutors, parents, and students from around the world to ensure that these words and illustrations are on target for students.
Direct Hits Advanced Vocabulary prepares students for high-level words found on the ACT, SAT, Advanced Placement Exams, GMAT, and more.
Words are our tools for learning and communicating. A proficient and robust vocabulary is critical to success in school, business, the professions, AND standardized tests such as the AP Exams, ACT, SAT, and GMAT. Even the most dedicated students dread memorizing long lists of seemingly random words. Direct Hits Advanced Vocabulary offers an approach that places the words in a context students can easily understand and remember.
The books include the following features:
- More than 200 of the most challenging words found on standardized tests, not a phonebook-size list of words that are rarely, if ever, used in essays or on tests
- Relevant, vivid, and memorable examples from popular movies, television, literature, music, historical events, and recent headlines
- A Fast Review with quick definitions
Formatted as a 6" by 9" paperback book, teens are comfortable carrying the Direct Hits Toughest Vocabulary book with them to study another word or two when time permits. Building on the success of previous editions, the authors of Direct Hits Advanced Vocabulary consulted secondary school teachers, tutors, parents, and students from around the world to ensure that these words and illustrations are right on target for students.