Direct Hits Essential Vocabulary targets middle school and early high school learners.
The book focuses on words students need to know as part of the Common Core curriculum as well as words frequently found on standardized tests like the SSAT and PSAT. The following features are included in the book:
- Selective vocabulary found in the Common Core academic language curriculum for grades 6-9
- High frequency vocabulary found on the recent SSATs and PSATs
- More than 250 words used in context. No more memorizing definitions of long lists of seemingly unrelated words
- Relevant and vivid examples from literature, history, current events, and pop culture make the words memorable for students
- Prefix, root, suffix, and pro-tip boxes are found throughout the book
Each chapter ends with a review exercise, and chapters include Essential 25 Greatest Hits, Literary Language, All About Adjectives, Celebrity Sightings, and Words That Count.